Monday, December 12, 2011

Negative mark on credit - help!?

I checked my credit score and credit report 2 days ago - and it was actually pretty good!!



But, I noticed on my account from 2 years ago, it said I was 30 days late on my Capital One credit card. It is VERY unlike me to be late (never late on anything!) I called to try and find out more about it because I don't recall ever being late and I don't see how/why I would be over 30 days late! They guy at Capital One said that once they report something to credit bureaus, it is out of their hands. So I called Trans Union, and the lady I spoke with said she would file a dispute and if they found it to be accurate I could call Capital One back and get details.



What I am trying to figure out is - is there anything I can do to get SOMEONE to delete this if it is found to be accurate? I've have my credit card for 5 years and always pay all my bills etc on time.



I have heard of something called a ';pay for delete'; - where you can pay to have a negative remark deleted- is this common? About how much is it?



I have also heard that with some credit cards if you pay the full balance off they delete any negative marks - is this true? I have a very small balance that I have kept on it, but paying it off would be no problem.



Like I said my credit was good- but I want/need it to be excellent!



PLEASE- ONLY ANSWER THIS IS YOU CAN ANSWER MY QUESTIONS FROM EXPERIENCE WHETHER YOU WORK IN CREDIT, HAVE HAD THINGS DELETED FROM YOUR CREDIT, ETC.Negative mark on credit - help!?
Most credit card companies will not delete accurate information - especially on an open account. A ';Delete for Pay'; doesn't work here - a delete for pay works when you are severely in the hole and the account has been closed and sent to collections. The company figures that you aren't going to pay, so they write it off and report it as so. What some people can do (and only with some companies) is to agree to pay the balance off in exchange for the creditor removing the offending line item from their credit report. This goes hand-in-hand with your next question about paying off the balance.



A one-time 30-day late will not drop your credit score much, and if you have had this account a while, getting the line item deleted may actually hurt your score. If the account has been opened say a few years, you will lose two or more years of good payment history in exchange for deleting a once past due by 30 days (which is minor). Loss of this credit history will almost certainly drop your score more than eliminating the one late payment will help.
  • whats wrong with my wife
  • cat
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment